Sunday, August 8, 2010

Glazed Doughnut Mufins


Mmmmm...sounds good! These were a snap to make and they look great, especially once you get the glaze on them. I have really been aching to make some kind of doughnut lately. I probably shouldn't, but I just can't silence that little voice inside my head telling me to try it. I think that some small part of me imagines I will be great at it, perfect the ultimate recipe and then make my brother happy when I go home for the holidays. Never mind that I have never made doughnuts in my life, am horrible at frying anything, and my brother is probably moving to either coast in the near future for work. Yeah. So I have no real reason to make doughnuts other than fun and adventure....something I should probably get from going outside.....but I digress. The muffins were actually found on another food blog, so I decided to try them out, unfortunately I built them up in my mind and expected them to taste exactly like glazed doughnuts. Wellllll....maybe not so much. They hint at tasting like doughnuts, but they don't give that kick, simply because they are not fried and well....that is kind of the point of the classical doughnut. All in all however, they were tasty and Max agreed they tasted even better the next day!


Glazed Doughnut Muffins Recipe:
(Adapted from My Baking Addiction, who adapted it from King Arthur Flour)

For the Batter

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 to 1 ¼ teaspoons ground nutmeg, to taste
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup milk

For the Glaze

3 tablespoons butter; melted
1 cup confectioners’ sugar; sifted
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons hot water

Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly grease a standard muffin tin. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, cream together the butter, vegetable oil, and sugars till smooth. Add the eggs, beating to combine. Stir in the baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla. Stir the flour into the butter mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour and making sure everything is thoroughly combined. Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared pan, filling the cups nearly full. Bake the muffins for 15 to 17 minutes, or until they’re a pale golden brown and pas the toothpick test.

In a medium bowl, prepare the glaze by mixing together the melted butter, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and water. Whisk until smooth. When muffins have cooled slightly, dip the muffin crown into the glaze and allow the glaze to harden. Enjoy!

I had so much fun making these! It always helps when something looks and tastes good! It also helps to have a great kitchen helper, and camera man when you can't get it focused right *ahem*.


1 comment:

  1. They definitely didn't taste like a classic doughnut but they were pretty close to a cake doughnut and still very tasty. Definitely a good recipe! As a matter of fact, I going to have one for breakfast. :)

    ReplyDelete