Saturday, August 7, 2010

Covert Chocolate Chip Scones


Max is an excellent boyfriend. He is thoughtful, considerate, he buys me flowers, he makes me coffee in the morning, he eats all of my baking experiments, and always cheers me up when I'm down. So whenever I get the chance I try to do little things to make him happy. I've felt very guilty lately because I get up super early and eat breakfast, leaving him to fend for himself. So I decided one morning to make him something special for breakfast. I love being sneaky!

Problem! Limited groceries available! I didn't want to leave and come back because I was afraid he would wake up. SO I scoured the internet for a simple, but tasty recipe for breakfast. After about 5 minutes of searching, voila! Chocolate chips scones from The Joy of Baking Website! I managed to collect all of the ingredients save 2, which I substituted for other things. All in all they came out quite well, and tasted quite a bit like chocolate chip cookies...with the lovely soft texture of a freshly baked scone. I was quite happy with them, and Max was very excited when he got up!

Almost Joy of Baking Chocolate Chip Scones:


2 cups All Purpose Flour
1/4 cup White Sugar
1 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/2 cup Butter, cold and cut into pieces
1 cup of Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
1 tsp Vanilla
3/4 cup Milk

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees, place the rack in the middle of the oven, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine all the dry ingredients (except the chocolate chips), and then cut in the butter with a pastry cutter. It should now look like coarse crumbs.

In a separate bowl, stir together milk and vanilla, then slowly add to the dry mixture until it is fully incorporated. Be careful not to overmix. Transfer to a floured surface and knead 5 times. Pat into a circle that is about 1 -1 1/2 inches thick and about 7 inches in diameter.


Cut the circle in half, then cut each half into 4 pieces, so you get a total of eight scones.






Place the scones on a baking sheet and brush the tops with just a bit of milk.



Bake for 15 minutes , or until they pass the toothpick test. cool on a wire rack for a few minutes to avoid burned fingers.




These scones turned out great! I would give them 4/5 stars, and will definitely make them again for my brother and friends in the future.






1 comment: