Sunday, September 5, 2010

Recipe Number One: Healthy Cornbread

Recipe number one of my fall baking fun is done. This recipe is simple, low calorie, and a great side dish for chili or with cottage cheese (yeah I know I'm weird). If you haven't read the rest of my blog, you should know that I am trying to be healthier (aka: Lose weight, build muscle). However, just because you are trying to lose weight doesn't mean you can't enjoy your favorite foods. Sometimes you just have to modify, or eat your sinful desire and move on. Cornbread is one of the things I find I can modify and still enjoy. This recipe came from Allrecipes.com. I only modified one thing and that was that I changed the plain non-fat yogurt to vanilla non-fat yogurt. I feel the vanilla yogurt makes it a bit sweeter, which I like better. So here it is, next week the recipe will be a bit more sinful.

Healthy Cornbread

1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1 cup vanilla non-fat yogurt
2 eggs, beaten

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease an 8x8 inch baking pan.
In a large bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, soda and salt. Stir in yogurt and eggs. Do not over mix, stir only until well blended, make sure you scrape the bowl. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the bread passes the toothpick test.

This recipe would also be great spread with honey, or dried and used for cornbread stuffing. It doesn't have much moisture, so if you don't want it to dry out cover it well. Or you can always call Dr. Horrible's friend Moist.

No comments:

Post a Comment