Friday, September 3, 2010

Pirates of the Periosteum!!!


It's Friday!!! And not just any old Friday, it's the Friday before Labor Day! Which means 3 days of freedom!!! Not only that but last night was the Shaft party for the first year vet students!!! It was so much fun, and things got really wild. See every first year class at K-State has their first test over all the bones in the body of the dog. It's not just the bones though. Every small tubercle or indentation in a bone, every tiny hole in the skull, has a specific name. So you end up having to memorize about 300-400 names and locations in 2 weeks. It's the right of passage to the K-State vet school. SO after the bones test the second years throw a huge party for the first years, with free alcohol, food, and dancing. The party is always an anatomy or a bone theme so this year we had Pirates of the Periosteum. There were a lot of pirate costumes and drinks featuring rum and tropical flavors. It was a really great theme!

Anyways, all the classes are invited to Shaft, and this year we had a great turn out! Our first year was a bit sparse on third year students. Our class (third year) has a reputation for being a party class and we didn't disappoint. I think the majority of our class was there, and on the dance floor, all night. In addition, when the lights came up at 1:00 a.m. We were the people straggling out last, as most of the first years had already been whisked away by the designated drivers.

I was really excited to go to Shaft. In addition to having a great time, I also got to actually see and talk to my other friends in the sophomore class. I was the designated driver (by choice) so I had 1.5 beers while my friends were eating dinner and then we hit the dance floor. We danced and sang along to the songs, but as people became progressively more tipsy the drinks started spilling, and so did the people! Soon there were puddles of fruity smelling mixed drinks all over the place. People tried to mop them up with excess napkins, but unfortunately this was woefully inadequate. Soon people were sliding and falling all over the place. Half way through the music stopped and the floor was mopped, but it really made no difference as people were now so inebriated the floor was pretty much made wet and fruity 5 minutes after the music started up again. Thank goodness I didn't fall.

Eventually the last song was played and we had to leave. Luckily Aggieville was open until 2:00 a.m. So after dividing up we drove over went dancing at Kite's. We didn't last long as Adrial, Jenna and I were all pretty tired. Not to mention there were loads of creepers at the bar. So at 1:30 we called it good and went to Jimmy John's to get sandwiches. I snagged a table while the girls ordered, and watched the other patrons throwing food at their adjoining table of friends. Finally the food was ready, and we were soon in the car and on our way home.

By 2:00 I was beat. The girls stayed up to eat their sandwiches and watch TV. I said goodnight, took my hair down, washed the makeup from my face, and threw my drink besmattered dress into the laundry pile. Comfy and warm in my pjs I fell quickly and happily asleep.

P.S. There were actually quite a lot of misadventures and funny stories from this night. I decided, however, not to post them, in honor of the not so innocent. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment